Wednesday, September 21, 2005

FIFA World Cup 2006


“Ole! Ole! Ole! Ole! Ole! Ole!” Soccer, the original football, is the world’s most popular sport. This summer, Germany will be hosting the 18th FIFA World Cup. The German national team has experienced some difficult losses during the past three World Cups, two of which they made it to the finals, but lost to Brazil. The last title they won was in Italy at the 1990 World Cup against Argentina, which helped gain Germany, their third World Cup title. Hopefully, Germany’s home field advantage will help them win their fourth title this summer.
The German National team is currently under a new coach, Juergen Klinsmann and has added a lot of new young players. However, the team is missing its all-star goalkeeper, Oliver Kahn and a key midfielder, Jens Jeremies. To take Kahn’s place, Arsenal’s goalkeeper, Jens Lehmann has been added to the line up and Bastian Schweinsteiger, one of Bayern Munich’s up and coming midfielders will help replace Jeremies. In addition, a new forward, Lukas Podolski is considered to be a key player to watch. The team has a lot of potential and still has one of my favorite players, Michael Ballack of Bayern Munich to help lead the team to victory.
Germans love the sport of soccer and enjoy participating as either players or fans in the stand. The 18th FIFA World Cup has picked the perfect destination for the event to take place. Germany has 12 host cities from Hamburg to Munich to visit and see the matches first hand. Tickets for the games are extremely hard to come by, but if you are one of the lucky few, you are guaranteed to experience something that you will remember for a lifetime to come. I am an avid soccer fan and hope my parents can fulfill my wishes and grab hold of some tickets as a graduation present. If not, I will have to watch the games on television at home like the rest of the world.
A Lesson in German:
Fussball spielen- to play soccer
das Tor- goal
die Mannschaft- team

3 Comments:

Blogger Shayna said...

I have been finding your blog very interesting to read. I will be going to Europe this winter on a BUAD program and our first and last cities are in Germany – Frankfurt and Munich. I am really glad that it is so pretty there in the winter, although I am hoping that there isn’t that much snow. Does it usually get a lot? I think that it’s really cool that even though your family lives abroad you have been able to be so in touch with their culture and your heritage. It is also cool that u fluently speak another language because that’s something that I have always wished I could do. Do you have any desire to live there after college? I bet it would be pretty easy to get a job with an American company that does work in Germany (especially because you speak fluently and are familiar with the country).

9/24/2005 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger Kendall said...

Keep up the Good work. I enjoy your blog.

Regards,
Kendall

9/27/2005 05:57:00 PM  
Blogger ckrause said...

Wow, you really do know alot about Germany and soccer. I think that is really cool that you are such an avid soccer fan. I played soccer all the way up until high school, but then focused on other sports. Soccer is definately a huge sport in Germany. When I went there in high school, I played with some of the German students that I was visiting. There was not a single bad person. It is funny when you think about the difference between USA and German. Here we throw a football when we are bored or just hanging out, but over there they play some Fussball. I really hope that you get the chance to go and see a game. That would be something that you would remember for the rest of your life.

11/16/2005 12:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home