Thursday, September 29, 2005

Munich


Munich is the third largest city in Germany, located in the heart of Bavaria. It is a traditional German city with a lot of historic landmarks and little modernized structures. Last summer, I visited Munich for the first time and was extremely impressed with all the great things it had to offer me. Munich has something for everyone, from traditional museums and churches to beer gardens and a great nightlife. I spent three days in Munich and still have plenty to go back and see for my next trip.
Munich is a cultural metropolis with world-renowned museums, such as Alte Pinakothek and the Deutsche Museum. There are museums for just about every interest, from technology to fine arts. In addition, for those of you who are German car enthusiasts, there is a state of the art BMW museum, which is considered one of the most attractive museums in Munich. The Englischer Garten is another great attraction; it is Munich’s 900 acre park that offers beautiful meadows of flowers and greenery.
Munich also has some great historic churches to visit. The Cathedral Church of Our Lady is a landmark for Munich and can be found on many postcards. It is a late gothic church with two tall domes that can be sighted from many parts of the city. The Rathaus or city hall is located on Marianplatz and is home to the Glockenspiel. Usually tourists wait outside of the city hall at 11 a.m. and 12 p.m. to watch the Glockenspiel go off. Tourists can also sign up for Mike’s bike tours by the Rathaus; I would suggest this tour because the guides are really entertaining and informative. Marianplatz is also a popular area for shopping and has various restaurants that offer the city’s traditional cuisine. High-end shopping can be done on Maximilianstrasse, where famous designers like Chanel, Gucci, and Burberry have stores.
Now what would be a city without some great nightlife? Well Munich is a great city with a great nightlife to offer its visitors. Munich has a wide range of beergartens, bars and clubs. The most famous beergarten, Hofbraeuhaus is a definite must. It is centrally located and offers its visitors two choices of beer (light or dark). In addition to beer, its visitors can eat traditional Bravarian food and listen to the Ump pa pa music. For those of you who prefer a more upbeat nightlife, Munich’s club scene is the place to be. P1 is a legendary nightclub on Prinzregentstrasse1 with many famous clientele; it is open 365 days a year and has free admission for those that can pass the bouncers. Other happening clubs are Pacha, Atomic Café, 4 0 0 4, and Nachtwerk. For those of you who prefer a relaxing night with a few drinks, a trip to one of Munich’s bars is the perfect choice for you. Some famous bars include Brasserie Tresznjewski, Café Glockenspiel, Casa de Tapas, Schumann’s, and Cocktailhaus.
Munich is a great German city to visit and has a tremendous amount to offer its visitors. I hope those of you who are fortunate enough to visit Munich, make the most of it and try to see as much as possible. I plan on taking a trip back to finish where I left off.

4 Comments:

Blogger k_ricker06 said...

While in Germany as an exchange student, I had the opportunity to go to Munich as well. It was probably the most interesting city I visited while overseas. There is so much history to re-live that is it amazing to simply walk around and look at the sites the city has to offer. The Glockenspiel was awesome to see in person. I had read about it previously in text books but seeing it in person was so fascinating. I'm sure the Hofbraeuhaus was the coolest bar you will ever attend. Unfortunately, the exchange program I was with didn't see visiting the Hofbraeuhaus as one of the important places to hit during our day in Munich. Germany was definitely an eye-opening experience that will never be forgotten. I hope everyone has a chance to visit there at some point in their lives.

10/02/2005 01:15:00 PM  
Blogger Shayna said...

Thanks for writing posts about Munich and Frankfurt since, as I said in my last comment, I will be visiting both cities. I am definitely going to be taking along some notes about things that you said. I have a few questions. First, what does "Glockenspiel" mean? I know I have heard that word it before, but I seem to remember it as a percussion beat keeper. Also, when you were talking about that club in Munich, P1, is it hard to get by the bouncers because it is such a famous club? Is it the kind of place we shouldn't even try to get near when we are there?

10/03/2005 07:19:00 PM  
Blogger LauraL said...

The glockenspiel is translated as the play of bells, but is also a musical instrument. Once the folk music chimes ring, doors open and brightly hued mechanical figures of enameled copper emerge and begin to dance around a carosel above the Rathaus. I think it's a little silly to watch, but I guess everyone has to see it sometime. Make sure you take a picture of it because the rathaus (city hall) itself is a beautiful building. As for P1, I never got a chance to check it out yet. I've heard it's hard to get in by most people, but others said they managed. The entrance is free, but drinks are extremely overpriced at 15 euros and up. You should definitely visit the famous Hofbraeuhaus for a traditional German beer, hopefully you like beer. For clubs, I would suggest 4004 because it has a large selection of music and isn't that hard to get into. Well hopefully you have a great time there and take in as much as possible.

10/04/2005 08:55:00 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I actually just found out a couple days ago that I am officially going to Germany for 1 month in January. I am so excited. It is funny that you mention Munich, because the people who I will be visiting claim that Munich is their favorite place to go. They always talk about the museums, art galleries, concerts, great architecture, culture, scenery and you can always find a place to party. I love how you emphasize that there is a great night life, because that is one of the things that I always hear about the city. I am definitely excited about visiting Munich.

10/21/2005 05:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home