Friday, September 16, 2005

Oktoberfest


Germany is most notably known as a country with great beer. Almost a decade ago, my father’s German family owned their own beergarden. Unfortunately, the beergarden is no longer owned and run by my family. My father’s relatives escaped the rough life they had in Germany during the war and moved to New York for a better life. My father’s grandmother was left behind and was extremely furious with them so she decided to leave the beergarden to her help to run. To this day, I do not know what happened to the beergarden.
Germany’s most famous beer festival called Oktoberfest (known by the locals as Wiesn) officially begins tomorrow. This year’s festival marks the 172nd time the event has been held. Even though the festival is called Oktoberfest, a majority of the festival is held during the month of September because the weather is usually more pleasant. The festival starts on September 17th and ends on October 3rd. It begins when Christian Ude, the major of Munich, taps the first barrel of beer and officially opens the World’s largest festival. Fourteen tents are set up along Wirtsbudenstrasse with choices from the Hofbraeu Festzelt to the Loewenbraeu-Festhalle. The tents are full of people situated at long wooden tables, who raise their beers to toast while they rock back and forth to the music. Each year, Oktoberfest is attended by approximately 6 million visitors, who drink more than 5 million liters of beer and eat over 200,000 pairs of bratwurst.
I have yet to experience the true festivities of Oktoberfest. The original festival is located in Munich, but most local towns throughout Germany recreate their own version of the festival. I plan to attend Munich’s Oktoberfest sometime to experience the greatest beer-drinking festival in the world.
A Lesson in German:
Bier- Beer
Prost!- Cheers!
Trinken- to drink

If you are interested in trying a good imported German beer, I would suggest Warsteiner.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I didn’t really know exactly what Oktoberfest was all about until now. I have lived in Delaware for 10 years and it seems like a lot of people take advantage of it. It just seems like an excuse for the adults in families to get drunk and let their children run off and play carnival games. However I recently learned a lot about Germany. My two best friends just moved to Frankfurt and are only about an hour away from Munick. They say that their Oktoberfest has so much more meaning and is obviously a lot more fun. I would also one day like to experience that kind of Oktoberfest.

9/26/2005 02:47:00 PM  
Blogger ckrause said...

You really have some interesting family history. I really think that is awesome that you know that because I honestly don't no much about my relatives.

The famous OKTOBERFEST. I didn't mention in my other post but I am going to Germany this winter session with the BUAD trip to Europe. Of course, I'll be there in January and miss Oktoberfest once again. I have seen numerous movies about Oktoberfest in my German classes and it just looks like the most INSANE party. A trip to Oktoberfest is definately on my list of things to do before I die. I will however be in Munich this winter session and plan on spending a good amount of time at the Hofbraeu Haus. CAN'T WAIT FOR GERMAN BEEEEER!

9/27/2005 09:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home